What went wrong?
The > symbol prefixed to a line of text indicates a quote in markdown. When using quotes in Obsidian, unless a new empty line is inserted after a quote, the quote styling persists to the following lines. I verified that this behavior is specific to Obsidian by testing it on https://markdownlivepreview.com/ as well as the Notion app.
Steps to repro:
- Open up a note in obsidian and write.a new line with the > symbol prefixed like so
New line of quote text
- Hit enter and Obsidian will suggest a new quote line that starts with >
- Delete the > symbol and start typing.
- Hit enter again and type another line.
- Lines from step 3 and 4 should no longer be a quote.
- The quote styling persists through lines from 3 and 4 unless a new empty line is added before.
Watch Obsidian - Basic Formatting Syntax - Test Vault - Obsidian v1.2.7 on Dashcam